Friday, May 18, 2012

An Odd Broadcast

I should have posted this earlier.

Last night I fell asleep listening to a few relaxing songs that I have on my computer. The only thing I could hear was the music, but eventually it stopped. A blue-ish light hit my eyes and I opened them to find my computer missing and my television on. Normally something like a computer missing would be cause for alarm, but I just didn't feel it.

I looked at the television and there were several men in suits sitting around a black table, like it was some kind of press conference. The sound was a bit muted or static-filled...or something. I had trouble making out exactly what they were saying and what I did hear was honestly a bit confusing. 

From the center of black holes come waves that were previously undetectable. These waves are signals that were roughly translated into the DNA sequences of countless species of plants and animals, including humans. A significant portion of the translated signals were geographical data; tiny parts of the universe like star systems and galaxies, coded in long strings of coordinates in four dimensions.

What couldn't be translated, the scientists argued, were likely concepts of existence that we simply could not comprehend with our level of understanding. As they spoke they grew increasingly agitated with each other, to the point where they were practically shouting their theories to each other and to the crowd. Reporters were eventually shown on-screen sitting in the front row of a decently-sized crowd but everybody was just sitting and staring at the arguing researchers  in stunned silence.

When I woke up today, I looked up a few articles about black holes and found this fun little tidbit:
The Black hole information paradox suggests that black holes can retain or transmit information about things that become trapped within them and that a form of energy called Hawking radiation may be able to be decoded into that stored information.

No comments:

Post a Comment